BogPineArt Gallery.

Please view my Gallery blogsite for further information:


Wednesday 25 March 2009

oZTralia

I was travelling between Cairns and Mt Isa.......This was the road. Mile after mile of red dusty hard ground.
By the side of the road (not captured on film) were thousands of empty beer cans....The aboriginals would get it together to collect these cans for the aluminium. Just occasionally I would spot a coke can and think "my god there's been a teetotaler along this way".

When I eventually arrived in Darwin....I found out that Territorians dont use Kilometers or Miles as a measure of distance.....they use the unit "Carton". A "Carton" consists of 24 cans of beer.....Therefore a trip from Darwin to Kathrine for example would be a 3 Carton trip, 150kms, or 72 cans of beer. This of course depended on how many people were travelling!.
If you asked how far it was from Darwin to Alice Springs????....Unknown................ because no one ever returned from Alice Springs to tell the tale............

No comments:

Post a Comment